A Rich Past
Toledo has been home to many business ventures especially in the manufacturing industry since the mid-19th century. Considered to be an industrial hot spot, this area was widely valued for its various means of transportation--the connection between land and sea via ships and railways in the early days of the Industrial Revolution in America.
The area appealed most to Edward Drummond Libbey, who, in 1888, was looking to relocate his glass manufacturing empire, the New England Glass Company. In 1895 Libbey and his wife, Florence Scott Libbey, finished building their 18-room mansion in the Collingwood area. Complete with its very own hidden underground wine cellar, this National Historic Landmark is still standing, serving the community through the Libbey House Foundation, a non-profit organization focused on the restoration and preservation of this beautiful Toledo home.
In 1938, many Americans were struggling to recover from the Great Depression. But some had the means to take advantage of depressed property and labor costs to build their American dream. Robert A. Stranahan was one of the fortunate few. In 1938, he built his mansion at the back of a large property near Central Avenue. This 32,000 square foot mansion includes 17 bathrooms, 16 fireplaces, and 15 primary bedrooms. It served as the Stranahan Residence until 1968 following the death of Stranahan's second wife.
The property and mansion was donated to and the Toledo Metroparks, and in 1975, the mansion was converted into the Manor House and opened to the public. Tucked away within Wildwood Preserve, “Today, The Manor House hosts a variety of events both seasonal and occasional. Baby showers, bridal showers, even weddings and birthday parties have taken place within these walls.” This example of philanthropy has a lasting effect for the people of Toledo.