Home > Exhibits > Tour of Collingwood Boulevard

Tour of Collingwood Boulevard

Browning Building

The now demolished Browning Building at the corner of Monroe Street and 23rd Street. The date of this photograph is unknown. The image was drawn from the digitized Ken Levin Postcard Collection.

Bartley Mansion

A black and white photograph of the Bartley Mansion on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End of Toledo, Ohio. The Bartley House, built by wealthy grocer Rudolph A. Bartley in 1905, was used as a funeral home for many years after the death of the Bartleys. It was later occupied by offices. One of the stone parapets collapsed in 1977, and for many years it sat vacant and derelict, stripped of its staircase, paneling, and mantelpieces. Threatened with demolition several times, it was rescued as part of the Museum Place redevelopment project in 1996. The 10,000 square-foot house was converted into 10 apartment units.

Toledo Travel Lodge

The now demolished Toledo Travel Lodge at the corner of Woodruff Avenue and Collingwood Boulevard. The date of this photograph is unknown. The image was drawn from the digitized Ken Levin Postcard Collection.

Milmine-Stewart Home

A black and white photograph of the Milmine-Stewart Home on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End area of Toledo, Ohio. At the time of this photo, the building was occupied by the Toledo Clinic. The home was built in 1920. Photo was taken around 1965.

Reynolds-Secor Home

A black and white photograph of the carriage entrance to the Reynolds -Secor home on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End area of Toledo. The home, built in 1887, was designed by architect Edward Fallis for Charles Reynolds, a successful banker and merchant. In 1904, the house was purchased by Jay K. Secor, president of the Citizens Ice & Cold Storage Co. In the 1950s it was converted into apartments with an add-on motel but was reverted back to its original state in the 1980s when it later became the Mansion View Inn. The property was deeded to the Old West end Association in 2000 and is used for a bed and breakfast and events center.

Hillhaven Convalescent Center

A black and white photograoh of an architectural rendering for the building built for the Hillhaven Convalescent Center on Collingwood Boulevard and Floyd Street in Toledo, Ohio. The building was built in 1970 and was sold as Sunrise Care and Rehabilitation in 2015.

Collingwood Presbyterian Church

A black and white photograph of Collingwood Presbyterian Church in Toledo, Ohio. The church was organized in 1893 and the gothic style church building was built in 1904 in the fashionable Old West End area of Toledo. In 2019, the building is still in use by the original congregation. Photo was taken around 1925.

Second Church of Christ Scientist

A black and white photograph of the Second Church of Christ Scientist on Collingwood Boulevard in Toledo, Ohio. The building, built in 1921, was most recently occupied by Church of the Living God and, in 2019, is vacant. Photo was taken around 1935.

First Unitarian Church

A black and white drawing by artist and architect Thomas E. King of the First Unitarian Church and the Second Church of Christ Scientist on the corner of Collingwood Boulevard and Bancroft in the Old West End Area of Toledo. The church buildings are currently occupied by Greater Highway Deliverance Temple and The Church of Living God. the drawing was completed around 1920.

Jewish Community Center

A 1952 black and white photograph of the newly constructed Jewish Community Center (JCC) on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End of Toledo, Ohio. The building replaced the Jewish Educational League building on Woodruff Avenue. The building was sold in 1973 When the JCC built a new building on Sylvania Avenue in Sylvania, Ohio.

St. Mark's Episcopal Church

A black and white pencil sketch of choir stalls for the interior of St. Mark's Episcopal Church done in April of 1921. The choir stalls were designed by the firm of Mills, Rhines, Bellman and Nordhoff for the church on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End district of Toledo, Ohio. The choir stalls, paid for by Elizabeth Daly, were erected as a memorial to her late husband, Toledo businessman William S. Daly, who died in 1902. In 2012, St. Mark's merged with Trinity Episcopal Church located in Downtown Toledo. In 2013, the building was sold to the Zepf Center, a nonprofit that provides mental health and behavioral services. Archivist notation on front of drawing: 2652.

Toledo Conservatory of Music

The now demolished Toledo Conservatory of Music at the corner of Virginia Street and Collingwood Boulevard. The date of this photograph is unknown. The image was drawn from the digitized Ken Levin Postcard Collection.

First Congregational Church

A black and white pencil and watercolor drawing done by Thomas E. King around 1915 of a new building for the First Congregational Church in Toledo, Ohio. Designed by architectural firm Mills, Rhines, Bellman and Nordhoff, the church was built on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End of Toledo in 1916. The First Congregational Church of Toledo was incorporated in 1837 and is still in existence today.

Collingwood Avenue Temple

A black and white photograph of the Collingwood Avenue Temple. Built in 1916, the Temple was an unusually modern edifice in an era of classical-style buildings. The congregation moved to a new temple on Sylvania Avenue in 1973. Photo was taken around 1950.

Gerber House, Mary Manse College

A black and white photograph of the Gerber House on the campus of Mary Manse College in Toledo, Ohio. The house was built by Christian Gerber, a man made wealthy by the hardware buisness, in 1872. The house was designed by Toledo architect Joseph Morehouse in the Second Empire Style. Gerber sold the home to real estate developer George Laskey and, in 1899, the building was acquired by the Ursuline Convent. Mary Manse College closed its doors in 1975. In 2019, the building is in use as the Collingwood Arts Center. The home was nominated by Eric Johannesen for the National Register of Historic Places in August of 1970. Photo was taken by Bruce McLaughln in 1967.

Scott High School

A black and white photograph of the Jesup W. Scott High School on Collinwood Boulevard in Toledo, Ohio. The Tudor Gothic Style school building was designed by renowned Toledo architect David L. Stine and built in 1912. The school was named for Toledo philanthropist and businessman, Jesup Wakeman Scott. The school building was nominated by Eric Johannesen for the National Register of Historic Places in August of 1970. Photo was taken by Kenneth Miller in 1970.

Rosary Cathedral

A black and white photograph of a look down the aisle of a wedding ceremony at Rosary Cathedral in Toledo, Ohio. The cathedral is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Toledo. The building was finished in 1931 but was not dedicated until 1940.

First Baptist Church of Toledo

A black and white photograph of the church building on Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End Area of Toledo. The church was built in 1924 for the First Baptist Church of Toledo, established in 1853. In 1978 the congregation sold the church building to the First Church of God. The First Baptist Church of Toledo built a new church in Holland, Ohio.

Academy of Medicine Building

A black and white photograph of the Academy of Medicine building on Collingwood Boulevard in Toledo, Ohio. The Toledo Lucas County Public Library purchased the building in 1975 to replace the Kent Branch Library which was destroyed by a fire in 1974. Photo was taken around 1965.